I like to make resolutions, but I worry about getting too ambitious on January 1st and setting goals that I’ll never accomplish. This past year some of my resolutions were to move, get a kitten, and run a half marathon. I didn’t actually get a kitten, but I did move into an apartment with one, so I’m calling it a win.
I’ve given it a couple weeks of thought and here are my 2012 resolutions, by category.
- Listen to more new music, even if it’s just new to me and not new new anymore (basically, don’t let the “I’ve missed the boat on this band” feeling stop me from listening.)
- Find a list of 100 movies everyone needs to see, and watch at least 10 this year. (update: I combined 2 of AFI’s “100 Best American Movies” and once I deleted duplicates I am left with 120something. List here.)
2a. I added a second list of more recent movies that I’ve missed out on. It’s part movies that people say “You haven’t SEEN ________?!?” and part movies that ended up on Best of 20__ lists. I’m still adding to it but that list is here. Goal is to watch 20 of those this year. Feel free to suggest things.
- Find a list of 100 books everyone needs to read, and read at least 5 this year.
- Read at least 2 books per month.
- Do at least one educational/cultural thing in NYC each month.
Money & Being a Grown-up
- Open a savings account.
- Figure out what I want to do with my life, career-wise.
- Start buying fewer, nicer items of clothing (instead of buying every shitty sundress from Forever 21 and H&M.)
Health, Food & Fitness
- Beat my half marathon time at least once.
- Be able to do real pushups.
- Get better at soccer.
- Try more new vegetables.
- Make sure I’m getting enough iron.
- Cook a new recipe once every 2 weeks.
- Assess how many states I’ve visited/figure out what my rules will be for what “counts” (i.e. does driving through count?)
- Visit at least 1/3 of the states I have not been to yet.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter OR find/start a nonprofit like Monster Milers.
- Keep my room generally clean on a regular basis.
- Sew more.