I was torn about even buying this dress. It was the epitome of so many things that could be wrong with a dress. I didn’t even know if I liked the fabric. But I do like a challenge, so I decided to make this mine.
This is so you can see that it has pockets. Chest pockets. And I had to hold it like this or else it revealed more cleavage than I am comfortable posting on this blog.
I started by carefully seam ripping the pockets off, and then removing the sleeves and the collar. Already, it was so much better. I had to decide if I wanted to make it a sundress or just a sleeveless v-neck with gathered shoulders.
I also couldn’t decide if I wanted to rip apart the bodice and make the skirt a little less enormous, but then I realized that the skirt has POCKETS. I love a pocketed skirt, so that made the rest of the decisions easy. Full skirt, sundress top. The pattern on the dress is so busy and migraine-inducing, I figured it would be best if there was less of it.
I basically just chopped across the back and cut the overlapping pieces in the front. There was so much extra fabric that I didn’t know how to trim, so I ended up gathering them and trimming with some conveniently colored teal ribbon I had. I used the sleeves to make a couple straps, and suddenly I have a whole new dress!
I’m still trying to decide if I want to replace the buttons on the front (they’re so weird and random but I’m excited that I was able to turn the ugliest dress I’ve ever seen into something actually wearable!